Saturday, September 14, 2013

Heading Back to Mexico!


Day 1

It is normal for me that I don’t sleep well before a major road trip. Add that to the fact that I never sleep well anyway after a career as a firefighter and I was good and tired when I got the wake-up call. That wake-up call just happened to be……. Rain! Really? Good lord……

It was somewhere around 5 a.m. and it was raining like hell. This rain did not start out as a few drops here and there, the skies just opened up! Seriously, what the fuck?! I mean it was just fucking pouring!

I had no doubt the planning gods were getting a good laugh out of this at my expense.

In short order I jumped up and I promptly got my ass to work covering everything up…..straight up fun I tell you. Not.
This took all of about 15 minutes. 5 minutes after that it quit raining….

I enjoyed a little coffee and breakfast while coming to terms with the fact that there are things I have absolutely no control over so I would have to let this go and just roll with it.

After that I towel dried the inside of my boat and parked it in the sun so that it really gets dried out. I did not want any of our possessions sitting in a wet boat for the next few days. 

Fortunately my aluminum boat heated up quickly in the sun and was soon dry so I could get to work.

I finally got to start loading our possessions around 10 in the morning….. I was only behind now by about 4 hours….. so typical of a life effecting day when I was supposed to be getting my ass on the road so I could meet my smiling family 5 days later at the airport in Puerto Vallarta.

I ended up doing the ultimately amazing load job, tied it all down and tearfully said goodbye to my family. I am not good at smiley goodbyes!

I was on the road, finally, around 11:30, and I was a bit anxious but happy and, as always, completely excited that I was heading to Mexico!
It just never gets old……..

I made it, driving slow because of the fully loaded boat behind me, to Tucson, AZ around 9 that night….and I was tired.

I put myself to bed with a can of Foster’s lager from the store up the street and put the day behind me with some rest.

Ok, I lied. Two cans of Foster’s lager……but, what the hell, I'm Irish…..

I'll be up and at 'em in the morning ready to get this show on the road into Mexico!



No comments:

Post a Comment